Welcome to MNU’s 2nd annual Homecoming Bake-Off!
Please review the competition details and rules below and click on the above link to enter. Entry into the contest is free (limit one entry per category).
All entries must be baked before being brought to the competition. No appliances will be available on-site. The categories are:
- Cookies/Dessert Bars
- Sweet Bread/Rolls/Muffins
This category is intended for baked cakes. Cakes may be single or multi-layer.
This category is intended for baked pies (fruit, custard, etc.).
This category is intended for baked cookies and/or dessert bars.
This category is intended for baked sweet breads, rolls and/or muffins, including but not limited to fruit breads, cinnamon rolls, etc.
TO ENTER THE CONTEST
Register your entry by clicking here. Please bring your unmarked entries (limit one entry per category per person) to the Big Tent at MNU Homecoming and Family Weekend on Saturday, October 17, 2015, between 7:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. No entries will be accepted after 9:00 a.m. on October 17.
ABOUT YOUR ENTRIES
- Both inexperienced and experienced bakers are eligible to enter, but all baked goods must be made in a home kitchen.
- Your entry must be made from scratch—no mixes or store-bought entries, please.
- You may enter only one baked item per category. If your entry fits more than one category, you must pick the category that you believe is the most suitable.
- You may enter as many categories as you like, but each entry must be a different baked item.
- Your entry will be judged on taste, texture, and appearance.
PRESENTATION AND CONTEST ENTRY
- Do not cut your entry for tasting. Judges will view and taste your entry as it is presented. Baked items will then be cut as uniformly as possible for the tasting, as needed.
- Entries must be delivered in disposable containers only. Containers will not be returned.
- Entries must be received and registered at the Homecoming Welcome Center in Pioneer Stadium parking lot between 7:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. on the day of the contest. Your entry will be registered into one of the four categories and you will provide your name, phone number, age group and typed or written copy of your recipe (including all ingredients) for each entry.
- If garnishment is used, only edible garnishment is acceptable.
Judging will take place between 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Judging is not open to the public. A Presiding Judge will monitor the judging and collect the votes. Each category will be judged by multiple judges chosen from members of the MNU community. Judges will select winners for each of the following awards:
- Conestoga Cake Award – awarded to the top scoring entry in the cake category
- Mattie Uphaus Pie Award – awarded to the top scoring entry in the pie category
- Blue Stem Cookie/Dessert Bar Award – awarded to the top scoring entry in the cookie/dessert bar category
- Ma and Pa Ketner’s Sweet Bread Award – awarded to the top scoring entry in the sweet bread/roll/muffin category
- Pioneer Pete Jr.’s Best In Show – awarded to the top scoring entry from all categories in the “18 and under” age group
- Pioneer Pete’s Best In Show – awarded to the top entry from all categories selected by judges from the winners of each individual category
JUDGING RESULTS AND PRIZES
Award winners in each of the above categories will be announced at 11:00 a.m. Winners must be prepared to share electronic copies of their recipes with the alumni office at email@example.com within 24 hours of competition, to be posted on the MNU website and Facebook page. Winners are asked to remain after the ceremonies for a group photo. Winners will each receive an award certificate and a gift card to Hobby Lobby.
QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS
If you have any questions or comments about the MNU Homecoming Bake-Off, please contact the MNU Office of Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org or 913-971.3275.
Director of Alumni Relations and Conferences
Associate Director of Alumni Relations and Conferences
Coordinator of Alumni Relations and Conferences
Attn: Alumni Relations
2030 E. College Way
Olathe, KS 66062
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday