Arvin F. Oke
BA; Sociology and Chemistry, 1968, Pasadena College
MA; Psychology, 1970, University of Missouri at Kansas City
PhD; Psychology, 1975, University of Kansas
“While going through difficult times in graduate school, I came upon this verse in a devotional moment and it spoke to me like few other verses had. I took this promise to Isaiah in a personal way, and had it printed and framed. It was always close to my study area, and became a great comfort to me for many years.”
Isaiah 43:2 “When you go through deep waters I will be with you, And when you go through rivers of difficulty you will not drown. When you go through the fires of oppression you will not be burned up, the flames will not consume you.”
—Arvin F. Oke
Awards & Honors
- 2006 Citation of Merit: MNU
- 2001 Fellow; University of Kentucky Morris K Udall Center of Excellence in Parkinson's Research
- 1992 Alpha Chi Donald Metz Award - Faculty Member of the Year for Distinctive Academic Contributions
- 1980 Interdisciplinary Fellow; Menniger School of Psychiatry
- 1970 VA Trainee Scholarship; Veterans Administration Hospital
Selected publications from 33 peer-reviewed journal articles:
- Oke, A.F., Carver, L.A., Gouvion, C.M., & Adams, R.N., Three-dimensional mapping of norepinephrine and serotonin in human thalamus. Brain Fes., 2000, 763, 69-78.
- Oke, A.F., Carver, L.A., & Adams, R.N., Dopamine-initiated disturbances of thalamic information processing in schizophrenia? In: Schizophrenia: Origins, Processes, Treatment & Outcome, Cromwell R. & Snyder, C. eds. Oxford Univ. Press, 1997, pp. 31-47.
- Oke, A.F., Adams, R.N., & Bird, E.D., Neuroleptic treatment is an unlikely cause of elevated dopamine in thalamus of schizophrenic subjects. Psych. Res., 1996, 45, 203-208.
- Oke, A.F., Is another loop needed to explain schizophrenia? Behav. Brain Sci., 1995, 14, 69-71.
- Oke, A.F., Adams, R.N., Winblad, B., & Von Knorring,L., Elevated dopamine/norepinephrine ratios in thalami of schizophrenic brains. Biol. Psychiat., 1993, 24, 79-82.
- Oke, A.F., & Adams, R.N., Elevated thalamic dopamine: Possible link to sensory dysfunctions in schizophrenia? Schiz. Bull., 1992, 13, 589-604.
- Oke, A.F., May, L., & Adams, R.N., Ascorbic acid distribution patterns in human brains: A comparison with nonhuman mammalian species. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci., 1990, 498, 1-12.
- Oke, A.F., Solnick, J., & Adams, R.N., Catecholamine distribution patterns in rat thalamus. Brain Res. 1988, 269, 180-183.
2030 E. College Way
Olathe, KS 66062-1899
Santa Fe Commons Site
13563 South Mur-len Rd.
Olathe, KS 66062
Most University offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.