BSN; 1975, State University of New York
MA; Nursing Education, 1985, New York University
PhD(c); Curriculum and Teaching, 2014, University of Kansas
“Sometimes the days go by and our actions take on rote practices; we fall into patterns, and forget to tangibly connect to those that surround us. We need to reach out and unceasingly refresh our minds, souls, hearts and bodies, opening ourselves fully to God, and be present for all those around us.
Romans 12:2 - 'Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.'”
Awards & Honors
- Professional Achievement Award from Saint Luke's College of Nursing, Kansas City, MO, 2008.
- Isabel Curdy Excellence in Teaching Award from Saint Luke's College of Nursing, Kansas City, MO, 2003
- Induction into Sigma Theta Tau National Nursing Honor Society New York University, 1985
- McDermott, J. (2012). Looking back to move forward. Nurse Education Today, 32, 839-841.
- McDermott, J. (2010). Obstetrical Records. In Iyer, P., Levin, B., & Shea, M.A. (Eds.) Medcal Legal Aspects of Medical Records, (2nd edition), Tuscon, Arizona: Lawyers and Judges Publishing Company, Inc.
- McDermott, J. (2006). Obstetrical Records. In Iyer, P., Levin, B., & Shea, M.A. (Eds.) Medical Legal Aspects of Medical Records, Tucson, Arizona: Lawyers and Judges Publishing Company, Inc.
- McDermott, J. (2001). Obstetrical Malpractice Issues. In Iyer, P., (Ed.) Nursing Malpractice, Tucson, Arizona: Lawyers and Judges Publishing Company, Inc.
- McDermott, J. (1999). Maternal-Child Documentation. Included in Iyer, P. & Camp, N.: Nursing Documentation: A Nursing Process Approach. Saint Louis: Mosby
- McDermott, Joanne. November 2012. MidAmerica Nazarene University: Lunch and Learn; Podcasting “Promoting Curricular Richness, Rigor, Relations and Recursion.”
- McDermott, Joanne. November 2011: AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference: Podium Presentation - Complexity Science as a Theoretical Framework for Organization and Leadership Course in RN-BSN completion program.
Involvement at MNU
- Graduate Council
2030 E. College Way
Olathe, KS 66062-1899
Santa Fe Commons Site
13563 South Mur-len Rd.
Olathe, KS 66062
Most University offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.