Chair, Center for Accelerated & Professional Education (CAPE), Assistant Professor of Business & Academic Advisor
R.M.M. I, II, III
BA; History & Pre-Law, 1998, MidAmerica Nazarene University
MA; American & World History, 2006, Emporia State University
EdD; Organizational Leadership, 2016, Northcentral University
“I love helping non-traditional students fulfill their dream of earning a bachelor's degree at my alma mater! I am grateful for the opportunity to teach at an awesome university where Christ is honored and praised through our Kingdom work.”
Awards & Honors
- SuperProfessor™ Member – Faculty Row (America’s Top Faculty)
- North American Educators Association (NAEA) – Honored Member
- Cambridge Who's Who – Honored Member
- Manchester's Who's Who – Honored Member
- National Register’s Who's Who – Executives & Professionals
- Worldwide Who’s Who – Executives & Professionals
- Outstanding Performance - Charter Refinance - ELGSS
- Chairperson of numerous committees – ELGSS & MNU
- Received The Leadership Moment Award – MNU (Awarded by MNU students)
- Dissertation Award/Scholarly Poster Presentation Nominee – Highest award given for a doctoral dissertation at NCU (2016)
- Academic Achievement Award (AAA) - Highest award given to any graduate student at ESU (1999)
- Golden Key™ International Honour Society – Top 5% of graduate students internationally
- Academic Achievement Award (AAA) Scholarship - ESU
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship Scholarships - ESU
- Academic Scholarships - NCU
- National Scholar's Honor Society - Distinguished Member
- President - Pi Gamma Mu National Honor Society
- Member - Phi Alpha Theta National Honor Society
- Vice-President - Class of 1999 - MNU
- Voting Member of Who's Who of America - MNU
- Downs, J. (2016). Exploring blended learning: A case study of adult learners using a learning management system in face-to-face classes. Prescott, AZ: NCU.
- Wesleyan-Holiness Digital Library (WHDL)
- Dissertation Center – Northcentral University
- Crossroads Journal – MidAmerica Nazarene University
- Downs, J. (2009). Dr. Sullivan: The first modern physician in Johnson County, Kansas. Shawnee, KS: Old Shawnee Town Museum.
- Downs, J. (2006). The pride of Kansas City: The Kansas City Monarchs;A socio- cultural perspective of how the premier black baseball team helped bridge the racial divide in Kansas City between 1920 and 1955. Emporia, KS: ESU.
- Served as Project Advisor for 450+ students.
- Served as Academic Advisor for 350+ students.
- Conducted extensive research on several topics at numerous libraries and archive facilities; including the University of Kansas, the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and the Eisenhower Presidential Library.
- Produced numerous reviews of leading historical books, journals, and articles at ESU.
- Produced numerous reviews of leading business books, journals, and articles at NCU.
- Former Member of Diversity Panel for the International Church of the Nazarene.
- Featured speaker for Nazarene Laymen's Conference, M7 Conference, and other seminars.
- Presenter of Myers-Briggs Personality Assessment, Strong Interest Inventory, Strength Deployment Inventory, Desert Survival Project, Subarctic Survival Project, DISC Instrument, ITO Model, Weisbord Six-Box Model, Awareness Wheel Communication Model, Sentio Rapid Leadership Assessment, Personal Best and The Leadership Moment, among many other nationally-recognized assessments and inventories.
Involvement at MNU
- General Education Committee (2009 – 2013)
- Academic Policy Committee
- Educational Technology Committee
- Faculty Assembly
- Instructional Design Committee
- Professional & Graduate Studies Council
- School of Business Department
- School of Business Technology Sub-committee
- SPGS Chairs Committee
- Technology Integration Faculty Learning Community
2030 E. College Way
Olathe, KS 66062-1899
Santa Fe Commons Site
13563 South Mur-len Rd.
Olathe, KS 66062
Most University offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.