Mary L. Fry
BA; Elementary Education, 1972, University of Missouri Kansas City
MS; Education, 1975, Baylor University
PhD; Counselor Education & Supervision, 2013, Regent University
“I enjoy watching graduate students develop in their confidence and personal awareness. My favorite verse is Philippians 4:8 written by Paul to the church at Philippi: 'Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things.' It is so easy in our fast paced world to get caught up in the tragedies of life. It takes a great deal and more effort to think of something praiseworthy. When I think of all that God has done for me, I can then turn to giving back by helping others. When I meditate on these blessings, I feel closer to God."
—Mary L. Fry
Awards & Honors
- Kansas Counselors Association Hall of Fame Award, 2014
- Chi-Sigma Iota, 2010
- Leadership Kansas Class of 1982.
- Pi Lambda Theta honorary society, 1972
- Leadership Award, Graceland College, 1970
- Fry, M. L. (2013). Program Insights: Association for Play Therapy Leadership Academy. Association for Play Therapy magazine. 8(3), September, 2013.
- Davis, P. S. & Fry, M. L. (2010). Who’s in Charge Today? Implementing Child-Centered Play Therapy Groups in School Settings. Association for Play Therapy magazine, June, 2010.
- “The Disconnect Kid: Interpersonal Neurobiology and Attachment”, with Todd Frye, Ph.D., Brent Moore, Ph.D. & Andrew Secor, Olathe School District Summer Conference, May, 2014.
- “Comparing Child-Centered and Psychoeducational Groups in Elementary Schools”, with Vickey Maclin, Psy.D., Christian Association of Psychological Studies Annual Conference, March, 2014.
- “Play Therapy: What’s it all About?", Church of the Resurrection Living Well Series, February 28, 2014.
- “Who’s in Charge Today? A Modified Play Therapy Group to Improve Behavior”, with Mary Roy, M.S. and Pam Davis, Ph.D., Association of Play Therapy Annual Conference, October, 2013.
- Child-Centered Group Play Counseling in the Elementary School. Kansas Counselor's Association Conference, March 2013.
- Child Parent Relationship Training in the Schools, Missouri School Counselor’s Association, November 2012.
- Three is NOT a Crowd: Triadic Supervision with School Counselor Interns. Missouri School Counselor’s Association, November 2012.
- Play Therapy in the Office and School, Christian Association of Psychological Studies, March 31, 2012.
- Child Centered Group Play Counseling in the Schools, Missouri School Counselor Association, November 8, 2011.
- Lee’s Summit School Counselors Professional Development Workshop, March 9, 2012; Kansas Play Therapy Association Regional workshop, August 17, 2012.
- Teens Can Play Too! Missouri School Counselor Association, November 7, 2011.
- Ethics is Important for YOU! Olathe School District Elementary Counselors, October 31, 2011.
- Triadic Supervision: Shaping the Future Through an Innovative and Unique Supervisory Method, Association of Counselor Education and Supervision, October 2011
- Missouri School Counselor’s Association Conference, November 2012.
- Peer Intervention: Eighth Graders Teach Character Traits, Kansas School Counselor’s Association, October1, 2011.
- Uh-oh! A Way to Keep Cool When Things Get Hot. A Love and Logic approach, Olathe School District Head Start Parents, November 11, 2010, March 2012.
- Becoming an Accurate and Effective Child Diagnostician. Kansas Counseling Association Conference (March 11, 2010)
- Child Diagnosis: Communicating with Parents. Kansas Counseling Association Conference (March 12, 2010)
- Making A Difference Across Generations, Beacon Behavioral Health Lunch & Learn, (November 12, 2009). Panel Discussion: Responding to the needs of children
- Sandtray Therapy, , Synergy Services, (June, 2009) Presentation to Therapists who see children and adolescents
- “Boundaries in Parenting” featuring speaker & author Dr. John Townsend, Christ Community Evangelical Free Church (2007) (Panel member at the end of the day-long presentation by Dr. John Townsend)
- “Moms at Play” Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS), (2004-2009), Indian Creek Community Church, Olathe Bible Church, Olathe Christian Church, New Hope Community Church, Christ Community Nazarene Church
- “Setting Boundaries,” Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS), (2005, 2007, 2009) Christ Community Church of the Nazarene & Indian Creek Community Church
- (CBI) Classroom Based Psychosocial Intervention Program, Save the Children, co-facilitator, (12/05), New Orleans, LA, (post Katrina)
- “Healing Through a Difficult Time,” Sunday School teachers and staff, Christ Community Nazarene Church (2005)
- “Intensive Filial Therapy,” MidAmerica Nazarene University (June, 2005) Co-Facilitator with Rise VanFleet, Ph.D., RPT-S
- “A Directive Approach to Family Play Therapy for Fair Fighting” (April 2, 2004), Kansas City Play Therapy
- “A Directive Approach to Family Play Therapy for Fair Fighting” (April 18, 2003), Kansas Association for Play Therapy Annual Conference, 3 hour Breakout
- “Helping Kids with Anger,” College Church of the Nazarene Women’s Ministries (2003). Institute, 6.5 ceu hours
- “Behavioral Techniques for the Hard to Manage Child,” College Church of the Nazarene (2002)
- “Parenting With Love & Logic,” Atonement Lutheran Church (2001), Blue Valley Schools (2003), Olathe Schools (1996-1999), Christ Community Evangelical Free Church (2002)
- “Boundaries With Kids,” Living Hope Church of the Nazarene (1999), College Church of the Nazarene (2000), Christ Community Church of the Nazarene (2001), Indian Creek Community Church Preschool & Day Care (2002)
- “Come Play With Me,” Northeast Kansas Counselor’s Association (2000)
- “Preparing for the Drug Free Years,” Brougham Elementary School Parents (1996), Olathe School District Counselors (1997)
2030 E. College Way
Olathe, KS 66062-1899
Santa Fe Commons Site
13563 South Mur-len Rd.
Olathe, KS 66062
Most University offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.