Financial Aid Policies
What is an academic year?
The Office of Financial Services uses a standard academic year for students enrolled in our traditional program. This year spans two enrollment terms (semesters). The terms total at least 30 weeks of instruction. A full-time student is expected to complete at least 24 credit hours during an academic year.
What is enrollment status?
Full-time status is defined as taking 12 or more credits in a semester. Three-quarter-time status is defined as taking less than 9 credit hours in a semester. One-half-time status is defined as 6 credit hours a semester. Only the Federal Pell Grant is available for qualified students taking fewer than 6 credit hours a semester.
Verification is a procedure in which some students are requested to document certain data elements on the FAFSA—including but not limited to income and family size. Primary documents collected are the IRS transcripts for the student and the parents if the student is a dependent. A verification worksheet must also be completed.
MidAmerica Nazarene verifies all students who are selected by the Department of Education and may use its discretion in selecting students for verification. If selected for verification, no Federal financial aid funds will be credited to a student’s account until the verification process is complete.
What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?
In order to maintain eligibility for financial aid, a student must make adequate academic progress toward his or her degree. Eligibility for federal financial aid is terminated if a student takes longer than 150% of the time established to complete his/her course of study. Students must successfully complete 66.67% of attempted cumulative credits.
For students transferring to MNU, the total number of credit hours accepted by MNU will be included in the number of attempted and completed credit hours in calculations for Satisfactory Academic Progress.
All undergraduates must achieve the following cumulative grade point average (GPA) to maintain financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress. These cumulative GPA requirements are monitored at the end of each semester.
See the entire Satisfactory Academic Process Policy.
|Hours Attempted||Minimum GPA Required|
|56 and above||2.00|
Balances Owed MNU
- Students owing the University at the end of a semester will not be permitted to enroll for another semester without making satisfactory financial arrangements with the Bursar.
- Transcripts will not be released until all accounts have been paid in full and Perkins loan payments are current. When clearing a past due student account to receive a transcript, payment must be made by cashier’s check, credit card or personal money order if immediate clearance is needed. If payment is made by personal check, a waiting period of 15 days is necessary for the check to clear the bank.
- Graduating students must have their accounts paid in full before participating in graduation exercises and receiving diplomas.
- All financial aid must be applied to the account balance before the student receives credit balances.
- Institutional scholarships must be applied to tuition, fees and residential charges. After these charges are paid, any excess amount will be returned to the scholarship fund. Cash refunds can only be created by outside funded scholarships or loans.
- Books and supplies cannot be charged on the student account.
Questions? Contact us
|MidAmerica Nazarene University
Student Financial Services
Campus Center Building
2030 E College Way
Olathe, KS 66062
8:00 a.m.—5 p.m. Central
Toll Free: 1-800-800-8887