Now if you know anything about me you will know that I love to give advice. I mean LOVE it. That is in fact what I am studying to be (I am majoring in psych because I want to be a counselor). I am really passionate about seeing people come into their own potential in what God wants to do in their lives.
So if you have read any of my blogs last year I did a few Advice Sessions so I thought why not? (shoulder shrug).
I wanted to give you a few things that have really helped me grow in my faith. Obviously there are reading your Bible, praying, going to church– the basics– but these are the things that have helped me grow beyond the mediocre and what I would advise any one of my friends. So here are a couple:
1. Taking time out of my day to sit and be quiet. I have so much noise in my life– talking and listening, classes and studying, working and interacting, music and my slight obsession with Grey’s Anatomy (don’t watch it if you want to be or continue to be a diligent student). Even when I am praying I am quick to talk and not listen and be quiet. I think we miss out on God sometimes because we are not quiet enough or slowed down enough to wait and listen.
2. Join a small group! Seriously they are great! I was in one my freshman year here at MNU and again this semester. They have helped me grow so much in the last couple years. From being able to being accountable and being consistent, to building community and fellowship–they are all important. ALSO MNU has several great ones! Gert involved in that community aspect of this school!
3. Surrounding myself with people who encourage me and bring positive and godly life! Don’t underestimate the power of some godly friends. Through any situation they are there and they are great.
4. Walk out in the gifts God has given you. I think so often I am quick to pass up on opportunities, or I think God won’t use me. Or I think I am only limited to a particular gift God has given– but then I put God in a box.. By praying and figuring out my gifts I have been given, and working on letting them develop by using them– I have grown so much more! Don’t just sit around asking God to fill you when He has already given you gifts and wants you to step out and use them to serve one another.
This is a piece of song I am working on (This is me trying to step out in the gifts God has given me) and it has to do with point of in not forgetting your first love.
5. Finally the lesson I am learning this year– if you do all these things: join small groups, surround yourself with good influences, walk out in service and gifts that challenge you and take you to the next level– but forget the very reason you will lose it. Don’t forget your first love
This is just some practical advice from my own experience that has helped me take my walk to the next level. Hope it helps you too!
Thanks for stopping by!