The semester is in officially in full swing– I have four tests next week (gross). But writing is one thing I always look forward to. I love to write about what is on my heart, what is going on in my life, and what I am learning. So I am writing because I am escaping from my stack of books I have yet to pick up. And today that writing will be about all valuable lessons I have learned in college (yay)!
So here it is 10 Valuable Things You Learn in College
1. There are three valuable things: Academics (grades), Social life, Sleep. You get to choose two.
2. No matter how hard you try, no one is immune to a Netflix addiction.
3. You can only do the best you can.
4. You have to learn to say no. If you don’t, you’ll soon be involved in everything and you will get burned out (see #1 for chart).
5. You can’t focus too much on the past or future. Learn to live in the present (I wrote a previous blog “Just Stop and Learn to Be on the Beach”). Right now you may be living in the memories of the past, or thinking about all that may happen in your future, but one day you’ll wake up and you’ll miss being in college (also see previous blog “Diary of a College Student”).
6. If your roommate get’s sick ALWAYS disinfect.
7. Staying up late with your pals is (most of the time) worth it.
8. And getting up early occasionally is not the end of the world.
9. Surround yourself with people who only make you and encourage you to be better.
10. Really be dedicated to learn something. Get really informed about one specific thing. For me, I love to read about interesting new studies in the psychology field. So when someone is talking to me and it relates to an article I just read- lets just say I sound smarter than I probably actually am.
And that’s about all I have. Do you have any valuable lessons learned in college?
Thanks for stopping by
(Pictures found at http://kickofjoy.com/college-life-best-days/
So this week happened to be SCOUT. Basically if you are unfamiliar with this term, this event is a time where high school students get to come see what it is like being at MNU. They get to spend the night with some current students, attend classes, and get information on the school. It really is a fun event! My sister and some of her friends came up from my high school this Thursday night. We hung out and they asked some questions. One question that they seemed really curious about (as simple as it was) “Sooo… like, what do you do? Besides class… What do you do on the weekends and when you have free time and what not?”
Here are some of the girls that stayed with me for SCOUT. My lovely sister is the one on the end (left).
I saw some posts in the MNU Graduating Class of 2018 (shoutout peeps!) and thought…. you know this would be kind of a fun blog! So without further ado… I present to you…
“Soo I’m done with class and I don’t have any homework… What do you want to do?”
Duhh, half-priced apps!
Ok soo this one we do probably the most frequently besides movie nights (which consist of almost every night) and naps (because you have to recover from your late night apps run). Applebee’s has become a weekly thing for most Pioneers. I mean 3 bucks for some good food… Why not? It really is the highlight of most of my weeks.
Hey we can watch a movie in Lanpher Basement!
Ok so hanging out in the basement is more of a freshman thing… but regardless we have plenty of movie nights… and when it is not open-dorms the basement/lobby is a good place to go!
Eh, I’m gonna take a nap.
Ok this is by far the most frequent one, or the one every student wishes was the most frequent one. I mean you have to recover from your late night extravaganzas… Am I right?
Welp we always got Apple’s to Apples.
Board games are sometimes a go to… and what better group game than Apples to Apples?
It’s a Tuesday right? BWW’s?
This is more like a special treat… But cheap wings?! They are great
Oh wait it’s Sunday… 50 cent bowling!
We haven’t done this too much yet, but recently my friends discovered that there is a bowling alley not too far from campus that has a pretty good Sunday deal!
We could go to the library… and “study”
Ok let’s be real about 2 things:
1. You always have homework. Even when you “don’t” have homework… you still have homework. Its the college life.
2. Even if you do have homework, if you get a study room with a group… you probably aren’t going to get much done. There have been some instances where they have been very productive, but most of the time not so much…
Uh… hello there is an intramural basketball game… Can’t miss that
Ya so intramural basketball games are pretty fun to watch. And I am sure they are fun to play too…. I just wouldn’t know 😉 Anyways you have some good, competitive teams and then you have some teams that just go to have fun. It is always a blast!
Here are the Dribblers… One of my personal favorites to watch. (photo cred to whoever put this on facebook ) They really are the Dream Team though!
*Sit on the couch while waiting for a good hour to decide that you are actually too tired to do anything and that sitting on a couch for an hour was a complete waste of time*
And sadly this is true most nights……. We over think too much.
Anyways I hope this gave you a picture of some of the things we do for fun! Obviously there are plenty of ASG events (movie nights, late night munchies, different holiday parties, etc.) and there are plenty of hall/dorm events that your R.A. plan out, but this is just a look at a normal, nothing-to-do night. The great thing about MNU and college life is that you live with all of your best friends, so even the boring things are fun and exciting!