Hey friends! It is five days into the new year and I have been doing some thinking. Looking back, last year was not necessarily the best year of my life. It was actually pretty rough on me. Through all that, I have grown to be the person I am now and I think I have handled this past year very well. I have grown a lot from all of the trials I faced. I made amazing new friends and strengthened the relationships of friends I already had.
I want to continue growing and becoming the person God wants to be this year. With that, I have a few resolutions for this year. I think I had made some every year and never followed through a single one! I am kinda lame when it comes to things like that…But I have a good feeling about this year. So if you all don’t mind, I am going to share some of my resolutions for this year. These are in no particular order and some are not quite as deep and serious as others are, but they all are important to me!
- Start a book and actually finish it.
- I cannot tell you how many I have started reading and never finished. Some books I started more than once! I actually am about to finish a book I started a few months ago, but I want to start and finish one in the same year. And a year is a very long time to give myself for one book! I really am not that slow of a reader. I just wont read it often.
- Learn a new skill and become better at a preexisting skill.
- I am taking a painting class this upcoming semester and honestly, I am a little scared! I have never really painted seriously like that before. I love Bob Ross, but I never even thought about attempting to replicate his visionary masterpieces. So we will see how that half of this resolution pans out.
- Some of you may know me as the violin guy that plays in chapel. Well you are wrong. It is actually called a viola. It is similar to a violin, but it sounds better. That is a skill I would like to be better at. I literally never practice my viola and I know for a fact that if I did, I could be so much better. I am not trying to be cocky or conceded, but when one practices, they get better. I also sing. I would go far enough to say that I am a good singer, but I know I have a lot of room for improvement. I could increase my range and I could have better control of my voice.
- I want to start exercising more regularly.
- Last summer I took a yoga class at JCCC and the semester before that I took a gym class at JCCC and just used their work out facility. I dreaded it every day but I felt really good from all the exercise. Now I do nothing…I get winded walking from Colony to the caf…So many people I know work out regularly. When they tell that they work out, I can feel the condescending tone in their voice. What they really are saying is “Yes I know I am better than you”. I want to be that person. I will probably just run in the evenings or something. Nothing too crazy.
- Start a YouTube channel.
- As I mentioned before, I love to sing. I even write song lyrics from time to time. For years I have wanted to start a YouTube channel where I posted covers. I even would love to start one with my best friend Chelsea. I follow a variety of different YouTubers and I know I could do what they do! Me and Chelsea are just as funny and ridiculous as Grace Helbig and Mamrie Hart. We just aren’t famous!
- I want to be more organized.
- I am the worst procrastinator I know. Every semester I start out using my planner like a boss. I write everything I need to do in it, but by the second month I forget that it even exists. It gets buried far down in my backpack. That is when I forget about things. Long term assignments are my worst enemies. I put them off till the very last minute. This semester I want to be on top of things better. I will finish my assignments long before the day they are due.
- Keep a daily devotional all year.
- This may seem cliche and basic but I am serious! I have always been encouraged by my mom to do this. Over the many years of my short life, I have accumulated quite a few different devotional books. I have started a few of them, but not to my surprise, I did not stick with it. I have My Utmost For His Highest and I have heard a lot of great things about that devotional. If anyone has any recommendations, shoot them my way!
Here are some more with less detail:
- Climb a 14,000 ft < mountain.
- Get all my assignments in on time.
- Figure out exactly what I want to do with my life.
- Get a Chia Pet.
Now I know I will not accomplish all of these. I will be happy with myself if I do one of these! But I am going to try gosh darn it! But in all seriousness, I am very excited for this new year. I have a feeling God has a lot in store for me. And I know that it is not going to be easy. I am thankful for all the people He has put in my life that have helped me along the way and that are going to be here for me this year.
Happy new year friends! I hope you all have an awesome year full of God’s blessings!
Until next time.