The Roommate Situation, My Life, Academics, and Other Things That Might Not Fall Into This Category
Blog World, it’s true: Today, my blog has no direct theme and is full of random information.
Random information, in which, I hope you find helpful…
I think the scariest thing about moving away from home, and onto a college campus, would be living with someone you don’t know.
For the next nine months, you get to share your personal space with a complete, and total, stranger. However, it’s not as scary as it seems. A roommate can be someone you confide in, someone you share many laughs with, and someone you will remember for the rest of your life. When It comes to choosing a roomie, I’d suggest choosing wisely. I’ve heard sooo many terrible stories about rooming with a best friend. It turns out, living with someone you already know, can create a dent in a good friendship. I’m not saying it won’t work out, but I’d be very careful when it comes to rooming with a best friend. When filling out your housing information for MNU, there is an option to choose a random roommate! There, you are given the option to find a roommate who–hopefully–has the same qualities as you. For example: Messy/Super organized, Early-bird/Night owl ect. Again, these things aren’t exact, but at least you get some say in your rooming situation.
- Communication is Key: If your roommate does something that bugs you, let him/her know immediately. Mis-communication is one of the BIGGEST problems people face.
- Create a list of rules together: That way, nothing is left unsaid. If you feel like your room is messy and needs to be cleaned, create a chart! If you think there should be certain hours to have friends over, write it down!
- Build friendships outside of the room: The MNU community is insanely amazing. The people here are nice–most of them –and I’m sure they wouldn’t mind having you tag along. It’s good to have a few friends to fall back on–just in case life gets sour with your roommate.
- Have Fun: Throw parties together! Invite friends over! Get creative. Remember: college only happens once in a lifetime–for most people–make the most of it!
- Also: Your college experience probably won’t be anything like the movie, The Roommate…Just saying.
Academics At MNU are no joke! The professors here are incredible, and have been taught to teach to everyone’s needs.
The class options are almost endless. With it being my second year here as an English Education major, the reality of being an “actual” college student is finally sinking in on me. As a freshman, it was so easy to slack of, and procrastinate till I couldn’t procrastinate anymore. I was the queen of staying up late and getting work done…or not doing anything at all. It took me a year to realize that I was the only person paying for my college education. My parents weren’t helping, distant relatives weren’t helping, It was ALL me (plus the scholarships that MIdAmerica had offered.) But I realized, It’s not like public school, when I graduate, I will have loans to pay off, and I want those loans to be something I worked hard for! With that said, I’ve been spending long hours in the library doing homework and studying. I’m trying my best to get everything done on time!
Caffeine and I have officially became best friends!
I felt the need to share a piece of my life with you! I spent my first weekend off campus this week. It was weird because I didn’t actually go home, I was staying with a woman who attends my church. She lives by herself–for now anyway. Her husband is in Serbia!–in a little cottage in Kansas City, and she has this really BIG dog named Malena–she was such a sweetheart. Anyway, I guess there really is no moral to this story. The entire weekend I watched the TV show, Bones. I enjoyed it; it has a great story line and all…but I’d rather watch Supernatural! (Woot! Woot!) I’m probably mildly obsessed with that show–I don’t know if that’s healthy or not…but who cares? Also, this weekend I took a ton of pictures! I’ll post some of them below.
P.S. I know I said I was going to post a Spindle room tour this week, but my apartment is a mess! My suite-mates and I have been uberly busy! Next week I’ll have two videos up–I promise!
Till Next Time!