Jacob LettAssociate Professor of Theology
Ordained Elder, Church of the Nazarene
PhD; Theology, 2019, University of Manchester
MA; Theology, 2013, University of Manchester
BA; Intercultural Studies, 2010, MidAmerica Nazarene University
I love the opportunity to help students discover the existential questions deep within their minds and then to engage these questions in the context of Christian community. Like Israel, it's in wrestling with God that we discover who we are.Jacob Lett
Awards & Honors
- MA with Distinction, University of Manchester
- Phi Delta Lambda Honor Society
- Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities
- Young Alumni of the Year (MNU, 2016)
- “Divine Roominess: Spatial and Musical Analogies in Hans Urs von Balthasar and Robert Jenson” in Pro Ecclesia (vol. 28, number 3, August 2019)
- “Why Spiritual Formation? A Trinitarian Understanding of the Formation of Holiness in Wesley’s Pastoral Letters” in Why Holiness. Edited by Carla Sunberg. Kansas City: The Foundry Publishing, 2019.
- “Vulnerability, Failure, and Resurrection” in Holiness Today (March/April 2018).
- “Salvation,” in Basic Beliefs: A Wesleyan Paradigm. Edited by Diane Leclerc and Mark Maddix. Kansas City: Beacon Hill, 2016.
- “Jurgen Moltmann’s Doctrine of Divine Action: Towards a More Integrative Approach to His Doctrine of Creation,” Wesleyan Theological Journal (Fall 2014).
- “Divine Roominess and Eschatology: Spatial and Music Analogies in Hans Urs von Balthasar and Robert Jenson.” Wesleyan Theological Society. Washington, DC. March 16, 2019.
- Panel Member. “Essential Wesleyan Beliefs.” M19—USA/Canada Regional Nazarene Conference. Kansas City, MO. February 13, 2019.
- Panel Member. “Why Holiness?” M19—USA/Canada Regional Nazarene Conference. Kansas City, MO. February 13, 2019.
- “Death, Drama, and Liberation in Hans Urs von Balthasar: Tragedy Contained in Christ’s Eucharistic Being.” One Day Theology Conference. Manchester, UK. June 15, 2018.
- “The Primal Drama: Trinitarian Distance, the Analogia Entis, and Simplicity.” Nazarene Theological Seminary. Kansas City, Missouri. October 12, 2017.
- Moderator. “Providence, Randomness, and Evil.” Christian Theological Research Fellowship at the America Academy of Religion. San Antonio, Texas. November 19, 2016.
- “Dramatic or Tragic?: The Dramatic Action of the Suffering Representative in Hans Urs von Balthasar’s Soteriology.” Australian Center for Wesleyan Research. Brisbane, Australia. August 12, 2016.
- “Balthasar’s Mission Christology: The Universal Christ and His Personalizing Representation.” Wesleyan Theological Society. San Diego, CA. March 11, 2016.