I love helping non-traditional students fulfill their dream of earning a bachelor's degree at my alma mater! I am grateful for the opportunity to teach at an awesome university where Christ is honored and praised through our Kingdom work.Jonathan Downs
Awards & Honors
- SuperProfessor™ Member – Faculty Row (America’s Top Faculty)
- North American Educators Association (NAEA) – Honored Member
- Cambridge Who's Who – Honored Member
- Manchester's Who's Who – Honored Member
- National Register’s Who's Who – Executives & Professionals
- Worldwide Who’s Who – Executives & Professionals
- Outstanding Performance - Charter Refinance - ELGSS
- Chairperson of numerous committees – ELGSS & MNU
- Received The Leadership Moment Award – MNU (Awarded by MNU students)
- Dissertation Award/Scholarly Poster Presentation Nominee – Highest award given for a doctoral dissertation at NCU (2016)
- Academic Achievement Award (AAA) - Highest award given to any graduate student at ESU (1999)
- Golden Key™ International Honour Society – Top 5% of graduate students internationally
- Academic Achievement Award (AAA) Scholarship - ESU
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship Scholarships - ESU
- Academic Scholarships - NCU
- National Scholar's Honor Society - Distinguished Member
- President - Pi Gamma Mu National Honor Society
- Member - Phi Alpha Theta National Honor Society
- Vice-President - Class of 1999 - MNU
- Voting Member of Who's Who of America - MNU
- Downs, J. (2018). Finding Wesley: A 21st century find of an 18th century treasure. Holiness Today. Kansas City, MO: Church of the Nazarene.
- Downs, J., & Flanders, B. (2017). A farther appeal to men of reason and religion [Digital photocopy of the original manuscript]. Olathe, KS: Wesleyan-Holiness Digital Library (WHDL).
- Downs, J. (2016). Exploring blended learning: A case study of adult learners using a learning management system in face-to-face classes. Prescott, AZ: NCU.
- Submitted to Adult Education Quarterly (pending editorial review)
- Wesleyan-Holiness Digital Library (WHDL)
- Dissertation Center – Northcentral University
- Crossroads Journal – MidAmerica Nazarene University
- Downs, J. (2009). Dr. Sullivan: The first modern physician in Johnson County, Kansas. Shawnee, KS: Old Shawnee Town Museum.
- Downs, J. (2006). The pride of Kansas City: The Kansas City Monarchs; A socio-cultural perspective of how the premier black baseball team helped bridge the racial divide in Kansas City between 1920 and 1955. Emporia, KS: ESU.
Scholarship-Research/Publications in Progress
- Downs, J. (In Progress). (Pioneer woman: Linda Balletti and the rise of adult education).
Abstract: Original research to be offered as a publication article on an early woman contributor to the emerging field of adult education in the 1930’s.
- Downs, J. (In Progress). (Eduardian rules: Appraising the works of Eduard Lindeman in the context of 21st century andragogy).
Abstract: A critical examination of “the father of adult education” Eduard Lindeman to 21st century trends and practices in adult higher education.
- Downs, J. (In Progress). (Finding Wesley: A 21st century appeal to people of reason and religion).
Abstract: A report about a personal discovery of a rare original, first edition of John Wesley’s A Farther Appeal to Men of Reason and Religion.
- Downs, J, & Murphy, M. (In Progress). (One & done: An economic study of the NBA draft rule).
Abstract: A co-disciplinary, economic analysis of the one year high school NBA draft eligibility moratorium.
- Cawsey, T.F., Deszca, G., & Ingols, C. (2017). Organizational change: An action-oriented toolkit. Los Angeles: SAGE.
- Downs, J. (2017). Andragogy 2.0: From theoretical framework to practical application. Olathe, KS: MidAmerica Nazarene University. Adjunct Faculty Orientation.
- Downs, J. (2017). Exploring blended learning: A case study of adult learners using a learning management system in face-to-face classes. Olathe, KS: MidAmerica Nazarene University. Poster Presentation.
- Downs, J. (2017). Incorporating memes into teaching. Olathe, KS: MidAmerica Nazarene University. School of Business.
- Downs, J. (2017). Technology integration faculty presentation report. Olathe, KS: MidAmerica Nazarene University. Technology Integration Faculty Learning Community.
- Downs, J. (2007). Emergency Exit: How the Church is Losing Generations X & Y. Kansas City, MO: M7 Conference, International Church of the Nazarene.
- Served as Project Advisor for 450+ students.
- Served as Academic Advisor for 350+ students.
- Conducted extensive research on several topics at numerous libraries and archive facilities; including the University of Kansas, the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and the Eisenhower Presidential Library.
- Produced numerous reviews of leading historical books, journals, and articles at ESU.
- Produced numerous reviews of leading business books, journals, and articles at NCU.
- Former Member of Diversity Panel for the International Church of the Nazarene.
- Featured speaker for Nazarene Laymen's Conference, M7 Conference, and other seminars.
- Presenter of Myers-Briggs Personality Assessment, Strong Interest Inventory, Strength Deployment Inventory, Desert Survival Project, Subarctic Survival Project, DISC Instrument, ITO Model, Weisbord Six-Box Model, Awareness Wheel Communication Model, Sentio Rapid Leadership Assessment, Personal Best and The Leadership Moment, among many other nationally-recognized assessments and inventories.
Involvement at MNU
- New Horizons Task Force
- General Education Committee
- Academic Policy Committee
- Professional & Graduate Studies Council
- Faculty Development Committee
- Educational Technology Committee
- Instructional Design Committee
- Technology Integration Faculty Learning Community
- School of Business Department
- School of Business Technology Sub-committee
- MNU Faculty Assembly