Tish ConejoProfessor Of Nursing
PhD ; Nursing, 2010, University of Kansas
MSN; 1993, University of Kansas
BSN; 1992, University of Kansas
ASN ; 1983, Kansas City Kansas Community College
PhD, RN, WHNP
To me it means that whatever challenges I face, the Lord is there for me.
Psalm 119:105-112 - 'Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, to observe your righteous ordinances. I am severely afflicted; give me life, O LORD, according to your word. Accept my offerings of praise, O LORD, and teach me your ordinances. I hold my life in my hand continually, but I do not forget your law. The wicked have laid a snare for me, but I do not stray from your precepts. Your decrees are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart. I incline my heart to perform your statutes forever, to the end.'Tish Conejo
Awards & Honors
- Midwest Nursing Research Society Nursing Education Research Section Outstanding Dissertation, 2010.
- Health Information Technology Scholars (HITS) program, 2009
- Midwest Nursing Research Society Annual Conference: Doctoral Student Poster Presentation Award, 2009
- The Research Foundation: Doctoral study scholarship, 2008
- Ellen Finley Earhart School of Nursing, Park College: Outstanding Nurse Educator, 1996
- University of Kansas School of Nursing: Loomis Scholarship, 2008; Varnes Dean’s Scholarship, 2006; Jean Johnson Research Award, 1993; Sigma Theta Tau, 1992; Phi Kappa Phi, 1992; Dean’s Scholarship, 1991
- Kansas City Kansas Community College: National Dean’s List, 1991; Phi Theta Kappa, 1975
- The Research Foundation: Faculty Excellence Grant, 2009
- Susan G. Komen grant for Improved Outcomes in Breast Self Health Care, 1998
- Jean Johnson Research Award, 1992
- Conejo, P., Bonnel, W., & Wambach, K. (in review). Implementing high fidelity simulations: Learning from nursing students. Nursing Education Perspectives.
- Gerow, L., Conejo, P., Alonzo, A., Davis, N, Rogers, S., & Domian, E. (2010). Creating a curtain of protection: Nurses’ experiences of grief following patient death. Journal of Nursing Scholarship.
- Gerow, L., Conejo, P., Alonzo, A., Davis, N, Rogers, S., & Domian, E. (2009). A phenomenological study of nurses' experience of grief following patient death. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 31, 1078-1079.
- Conejo, P. (2009) Learning to learn with concept mapping. In Bonnel & Smith (EDs), Teaching Technologies in Nursing and the Health Professions, New York: Springer.
- Bonnel, W., Alonzo, A., Conejo, P., & Heinze, S. (2008). Nursing and rural healthcare issues. In Roux, G., & Halstead, J. (Eds.), Nursing issues. Los Angeles: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- Conejo, P. (2000). Reducing the Odds: Preventing Perinatal Transmission of HIV in the United States (reviewed). The Journal of Perinatal Education, 9,(3), 40-41.
- Carroll, V., and Conejo, P. (1999). Infant abduction: Lowering the risk. Lifelines, 3(6), 25-27.
- Bechelmayr (Conejo), P.E. (1995). The effect of childbirth preparation on anxiety. The Journal of Perinatal Education, 4, 15-19.
- Conejo, P. (2014). Empowering Nurses to Use Nursing Research to Support Evidence-based Practice. 7th Annual Evidence-based Practice on the Frontline Conference. Columbia, MO.
- Green, C., Conejo, P., Hubeny, P., Saisi, J., & Valla, M. (2013). Effective Communication: The Key to Disabling Disruptive Behaviors in the Oncology Care Setting. Third Annual Magnetizing KC Symposium: Innovations in Nursing Practice, February 20, 2013, Kansas City, MO.
- Conejo, P. & Greathouse, T. (2012). An Innovative Course to Develop Nursing Students’ Clinical Reasoning Using Simulation. Simulation: Bringing Life to Healthcare Challenges, 5th Annual Simulation Conference, September 7-8, 2012, Overland Park, KS.
- Conejo, P. (2012). Faculty and Student Perceptions of Best Practices in High Fidelity Simulation. 11th Annual International Nursing Simulation/Learning Resources Centers Conference, June 21-23, 2012, San Antonio, TX.
- Conejo, P. (2012). Integrating High-Fidelity Simulation into the Nursing Curriculum. Nuts & Bolts for Nurse Educators Conference, February 3-4, 2012, Phoenix, AZ.
- Conejo, P. (2011). Creating a curtain of protection: Nurses' experiences of grief following patient death. Presentation: 16th Annual Midwest Regional Nursing Educators Conference, November 10-11, 2011, Columbia, MO.
- Conejo, P. & Hinds, M. (2010). Successful Implementation and Integration of Simulation into the Nursing Curriculum. Presentation: National League for Nursing Technology Conference, October 28-31, 2010, Indianapolis, IN. Conejo, P. (2010). Preparation for and implementation of high-fidelity simulation in associate degree nursing programs. Midwest Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, April 8-11, 2010, Kansas City, MO.
- Conejo, P. (2010). Preparation for and implementation of high-fidelity simulation in associate degree nursing programs. Nurse Educator Institute, April 13-15, 2010, Branson, MO.
- Conejo, P. (2010). Using best practices in high-fidelity simulation. National Organization of Associate Degree Nursing Annual Conference, November 2010, Atlanta, GA.
- Conejo, P., Gerow, L., Alonzo, A., Davis, N., Rodgers, S., & Domian, E. (2009). Creating a curtain of protection: A phenomenological study of nurses’ experiences of grief following patient death. Poster presentation: Midwest Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, March 29-31, 2009, Minneapolis, MN.
- Conejo, P. & Hinds, M. (2009). Simulation across the curriculum. Presentation: Health Information Technology Scholars (HITS) workshop. March 3-5, 2009, Indianapolis, IN
- Conejo, P. (2008). Learning to learn with concept mapping. Poster presentation: Creating Jazz: Transforming Exchanges in Education and Practice, 35th Annual Professional Nurse Educator Group Conference. October 16-19, 2008, Kansas City, MO.
- Germanna Community College Showcase presentation: The Institutional Effectiveness of the Practical Nursing Program. (2004).
- Involvement at MNU