Campus will be closed Thursday, March 10th, due to inclement weather.
Faculty & Staff
About the Program
2030 E College Way
Olathe, KS 66062-1899
Santa Fe Commons Site
13563 South Mur-len Rd.
Olathe, KS 66062-1899
Most University offices are open from 8:00am – 5:00pm, Monday – Friday
PhD, RN, Professor of Nursing
- PhD; Curriculum and Teaching, 2014, University of Kansas
- MA; Nursing Education, 1985, New York University
- BSN; 1975, State University of New York
Sometimes the days go by and our actions take on rote practices; we fall into patterns, and forget to tangibly connect to those that surround us. We need to reach out and unceasingly refresh our minds, souls, hearts and bodies, opening ourselves fully to God, and be present for all those around us. Romans 12:2 – ‘Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.’
2015, May. Recipient, Robert I. Brower Award honoring an MNU educator in Professional and Graduate Studies.
2011, Spring. Recipient of the Professional Achievement Award;
Nominated for the Isabel Curdy Excellence in Teaching Award. Saint Luke’s College. Kansas City, MO.
2010, Spring. Nominated for Professional Achievement Award. Saint Luke’s College. Kansas City, MO.
2010, February: Inducted into Saint Luke’s College Nursing Honor Society. Kansas City, MO.
Professional Achievement Award from Saint Luke’s College of Nursing, Kansas City, MO, 2008.
- Isabel Curdy Excellence in Teaching Award from Saint Luke’s College of Nursing, Kansas City, MO, 2003
- Induction into Sigma Theta Tau National Nursing Honor Society New York University, 1985
(2020, April) Improving Nursing Students’ Attitude Towards Research Course: Incorporating Immediate FeedbackAssessment Technique [Conference Session]. Nursing Education Research Conference, Washington, DC
(2019, Fall) Integrating QSEN into MSN Nursing Education Specialty. American Association of Colleges ofNursing (AACN) MSN Conference. Tampa, Florida. Poster Presentation.
(2018, April). Improving student outcomes through Podcasting. Sigma National Research in Education Conference. Washington, DC. Podium Presentation.
- McDermott, J. (2012). Looking back to move forward. Nurse Education Today, 32, 839-841.
- McDermott, J. (2010). Obstetrical Records. In Iyer, P., Levin, B., & Shea, M.A. (Eds.) Medical Legal Aspects of Medical Records, (2nd edition), Tuscon, Arizona: Lawyers and Judges Publishing Company, Inc.
- McDermott, J. (2006). Obstetrical Records. In Iyer, P., Levin, B., & Shea, M.A. (Eds.) Medical Legal Aspects of Medical Records, Tucson, Arizona: Lawyers and Judges Publishing Company, Inc.
- McDermott, J. (2001). Obstetrical Malpractice Issues. In Iyer, P., (Ed.) Nursing Malpractice, Tucson, Arizona: Lawyers and Judges Publishing Company, Inc.
- McDermott, J. (1999). Maternal-Child Documentation. Included in Iyer, P. & Camp, N.: Nursing Documentation: A Nursing Process Approach. Saint Louis: Mosby
- McDermott, Joanne. November 2012. MidAmerica Nazarene University: Lunch and Learn; Podcasting “Promoting Curricular Richness, Rigor, Relations and Recursion.”
- McDermott, Joanne. November 2011: AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference: Podium Presentation – Complexity Science as a Theoretical Framework for Organization and Leadership Course in RN-BSN completion program.