- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0* or above for all undergraduate coursework, or minimum GPA of 3.2 in the last 30 hours of undergraduate coursework.
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary course work.
- Writing assessment.
- Three professional and/or academic (non-family member) recommendations.
- One half-day of comprehensive interviews with graduate faculty after all other admission requirements have been met.
- Applicants for whom English is a second language must have a score of 600 or greater on the TOEFL examination taken within the last five years.
* Students with lower GPA are eligible for admission but will be placed on an academic probationary period if accepted.
Admission and Application Process
Application and interviews for the Master of Arts in Counseling program occurs twice a year. The number of students accepted is limited, so please don't wait until the last minute to fill out your application.
Our 2018 class is now full. Please apply for our 2019 class.
Earlybird deadline: February 1, 2019
Standard deadline: April 1, 2019
Classes Starting in Olathe: August 2019
Minimum Technology Requirements
To participate successfully in courses in the various MNU programs, (and particularly for all online courses and programs) all students must have individual access to a personal computer of one of the following types. It is recommended that your system be no more than three years old.:
- Microsoft Windows (PC):
Windows personal computer (desktop OK, laptop recommended), with the Windows 7 or newer Windows operating system, or a Windows 8.x or Windows 10 tablet computer (e.g., Microsoft Surface) or newer.
NOTE: Windows Smartphones are NOT sufficient technologies by themselves.
Mac (desktop OK, laptop recommended), with the Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) or newer Mac operating system
NOTE: Apple tablets (e.g., iPads) and Apple smartphones (e.g., iPhones) may be handy to have for some courses and activities, but they are NOT sufficient technology by themselves.
No other devices are supported or recommended for MNU online courses and programs
Android devices (tablets and smartphones) WILL NOT work for some critical functions.
Chromebooks and other Netbook computers MAY NOT work for some features and functions, and therefore are not recommended.
- Recommended Extras:
Webcam, for creating presentations for assignments
Multimedia headset (microphone and headphones) for creating presentations for assignments and for participating in online real-time conferences.
At least one week prior to the first session of your course or program, you must be sure your computer has current versions of the following software that may not have been initially installed on it:
- Firefox web browser (this is the recommended browser for most MNU online activities)
- Adobe Flash Player
- Microsoft Silverlight
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Microsoft Office 2013 (for Windows) or 2011 (for Mac), or a later version.
All MNU students may download the full Microsoft Office Pro product for free from the MNU portal once they have their student login ID and password.
You must have reliable access to the Internet. At least 1 Mbps bandwidth is recommended. Dial-up and satellite-TV Internet connections are NOT recommended.
- Microsoft Windows (PC):