Our mission is to maintain buildings and grounds in a manner that provides a safe and pleasant environment for everyone on campus--employees, students and visitors; complete tasks in a timely manner at a reasonable cost with a big picture mentality; make decisions based on what is best for the institution, long range and short term, in a matter that affirms the dignity and worth of the students, faculty and staff.
How to contact us
- All requests are made by contacting the front office – call: 971-3279 or ext. 3279.
- All staff members work from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. - Monday through Friday.
- For any work request after hours you may leave a message. Work requests left as a phone message will be issued the next work day.
- You may also file a work request accessing the help desk service request at www.mnu.edu
Grounds Department Duties
- Trash removal from receptacles and clutter removed from grounds
- Tending of all landscape areas – cleaning, mulching, trimming, weeding
- Mowing of all grass areas
- Care of all athletic fields, including painting
- Minor parking lot maintenance – pot holes and striping, all traffic signs
- All landscape renovations
- Trimming around all fixtures, biweekly
- Edging all sidewalks monthly
- All mulching of trees and beds
- All insect, weed, and disease control
- Maintaining a prairie grass area at central mall
- Care of all trees
- Ice and snow removal of all drives, parking lots, sidewalks, doorways, plus salt and sanding applications
- Growing of all flowers in greenhouse for annual and perennial beds
Housekeeping Department Duties
- vacuuming and shampooing of all carpets
- mopping and waxing of all “hard” floors
- dusting of all offices and public areas
- cleaning of rest rooms
- removal of trash
Purchasing Department Duties
- Purchase materials, repair parts
- Replacement equipment for the maintenance, grounds, and housekeeping departments of MNU
- Maintain an inventory of often used parts and supplies for the three department of facility services
- Keep and maintain a hazardous materials storage area. Have these materials shipped to recycling facilities and record that they have been recycled.
- Maintain a warehouse of used MNU equipment that will be used at a later time
Maintenance Department Duties
- heating and air conditioning; repairs and replacement
- refrigeration equipment – drinking fountains and ice machines
- kitchen equipment
- plumbing; clogged drains, clogged toilets,
- Sink and faucet replacement
- burned out lights, light fixture replacement
- All electrical issues, from tripped circuit breakers to electrical upgrades
- routine maintenance of all mechanical equipment
- fire alarm systems - eleven buildings are monitored by Simplex for immediate response to a fire.
- all locking issues; from issuing keys to re-keying to door knobs and locks
- video screens
- sheet rock/wall repair
- replace falling, stained, or dirty ceiling tile
- hang pictures, shelves
- build and install cabinets
- remodel, redecorate, restore
- replace carpets
- roof repairs
- responsible for all capital improvement projects
- pest control
- We have a contract with Terminex for termite control and inspections:
- We have a contract with Ecolab for pest control in all buildings.
Generally, with few exceptions, all maintenance is performed at no cost to a division or department. Any new equipment or additions, for example, new shelving or remodeling, is labor free (if done in house) with the material being charged to the department.
These duties are applied to all buildings on campus and two buildings off the main campus for a total of 23 buildings, with just under 500,000 sq. ft. The campus covers 105 acres.