MNU Campus Reopening
We are delighted to say the MNU campus will be open for business in person on June 29 and in-person classes will begin August 25, 2020.
As employees and students are welcomed back to campus, appropriate health, hygiene and operational adjustments will be taken to promote the safety and welfare of the campus community. These plans are still being made so check back to learn more in the coming weeks. We will push communication out through social media and email as well.
We can’t wait to Welcome You Home to MNU! #ReopenMNU
Campus Reopening Updates
President David J. Spittal announced today that MidAmerica Nazarene University will reopen campus for business, activities and operations on June 29 and on August 25, all in-person classes and programs will resume. As employees and students are welcomed back to campus, appropriate health, hygiene and operational adjustments will be taken to promote the safety and welfare of the campus community.
“I am eagerly anticipating the renewed vitality and energy as our students return to campus in August and join our professional and graduate students for a great new year,” Spittal says. “Our outlook is positive, and we are eagerly looking forward to the 20-21 academic year.”
- MidAmerica Nazarene University (MNU) submitted the signed Certification and Agreement for the student portion of the HEERF grant to the Department of Education on April 10, 2020.
- MNU was scheduled to receive $599,857 for the student portion. However, $703,200 was received on April 28. The excess of $103,343 was returned on May 12, 2020.
- As of this date, none of the funds have been distributed to students. However, the distributions are to begin next week.
- The estimated number of MNU students eligible to participate in the emergency grant program: 1,085.
- As of this date, no students have received the emergency grants. However, that distribution will begin next week.
- The methodology used to determine the amount of the distribution was an equal distribution to all eligible recipients. All MNU students have suffered financial hardship as a result of the COVID pandemic. MNU will also hold back approximately $100,000 of the $599,857 student portion to be distributed on a case-by-case basis to students that have special needs above and beyond the initial funds delivered to them. A committee of appropriate managers will determine and oversee that distribution.
- An email from the President, that included a discussion of the upcoming HEERF distribution, was sent to students and parents on May 11. Two separate emails from the CFO/VP Finance, discussing the HEERF distribution were sent May 12, the first to undergraduate students and their parents, the second to eligible graduate students. Finally, an email with instructions on setting up ACH information in MNU’s payment system, will be sent this week or early next week from the Bursar to all eligible students, to facilitate a quicker distribution of the funds.
When will in-person visits resume for prospective students?
- Please contact the Admissions Office for arrangements to visit in person. 913.971.3380 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall Semester Schedule
What changes have been made to the Fall schedule?
- The beginning and ending dates for the Fall 2020 semester will remain as established; however, to reduce mass student travel and to avoid the potential spread of COVID-19, the university will hold regularly scheduled classes on Friday, October 9, 2020 and will not observe the scheduled Fall Break. All traditional campus-based classes will conclude at Thanksgiving break November 25-27. Traditional students will not return to campus following Thanksgiving and will complete semester projects and final exams remotely. Students involved in athletics, nursing practicums, student teaching, work responsibilities or who choose to do so (with approval) may remain on campus with housing and food services available through the end of the semester. SPGS students enrolled in campus based and online classes will continue as scheduled through the remainder of the semester.
In-person guidelines on campus
When will MNU be open for business in person?
- June 29, 2020 is the date that physical offices will open. MNU will be closed to observe Independence Day on July 3, 2020.
Are masks required on campus?
- As of June 29, 2020, we are requesting that everyone wear masks if social distancing of 6 ft. is not possible. Signs are posted on campus as reminders of this and other guidelines. These guidelines are in agreement with our county's guidelines and could change. Changes will be noted as they are made.
When do students move in?
- On Friday, August 21, 2020, residence halls will open at 6 p.m. for new first-year students to move into their assigned rooms. Fall sports teams that are required to move in before August 21 will receive communication and details from the Athletic Department. Returning students move in Saturday, August 22. Details regarding the NSO weekend can be found here.