Students majoring in entrepreneurship learn about generating innovative ideas and testing their feasibility. Skills in writing business plans and applying this knowledge in real world applications make this a practical degree for those who would like to own a business.
About the Program
Management theory along with coursework on specific topics to apply in a business plan make up the foundation of the major. Also included is coursework in web design, accounting, marketing, business law, accounting and finance.
YOU WILL LEARN
- Innovation – define and evaluate the needs, problems, and demands of a market for product, service, and process opportunities.
- Planning – through a written business plan to evaluate business models and validate their components.
- Viability - measure the ability to start and grow a business, helping it to thrive through analyzing and planning accounting and financial strategies in the business model, as well as risks and rewards.
- Critical thinking – apply strategic thinking to make connections between quantitative and qualitative tools, theories and context to solve problems and provide business vision.
- Interpersonal and leadership skills –foster teamwork, secure stakeholders and team members who are effective at pursing ideas that add societal value.
WE PREPARE YOU
Careers in entrepreneurship not only include starting one’s own organization, but also working for an established organization. Many times, when entrepreneurs work for another company they are referred to as an intrapreneur. Intrapreneurs can be innovative and evaluate new ventures for organizations to help them stay ahead of their competitors. They know how to synthesize data and evaluate trends.
Intrapreneurs often become future company executive leaders. They know how to move the organization forward and rise to the top with a deep understanding of the organization from all levels. Their ingenuity allows companies to integrate new ideas for growth and the overall good of an entire company. Social intrapreneurs can create innovative approaches to solutions for businesses to measure the bottom line in light of financial, social, and environmental goals.