MNU Arts & Humanities department offers two scholarship opportunities: Music and Theatre. Music major scholarships and/or music ensemble participation scholarships are available to exceptional students who complete the Music Scholarship Application Form and perform a successful audition. Theatre major scholarships are available to exceptional students who complete the Theatre Scholarship Application Form and perform a successful audition.
The audition experience is an opportunity for prospective students to demonstrate their level of musical/theatrical skill in the prospective student’s major (and possibly secondary) performance area, and meet the faculty.
Auditions include a pre-recorded video performance using YouTube or Vimeo, sent at least one full week prior to the selected audition date, and a live audition/interview via Zoom.
Audition dates for 2021-2022 are as follows:
- November 7, 2020
- January 23, 2021
- February 20, 2021
- March 6, 2021
- March 27, 2021
- April 24, 2021
- May 1, 2021
Music Audition Requirements
- Fill out Music Scholarship Application Form.
- Prepare and video record a solo piece which best demonstrates skills in the primary performance area. Vocal selections should be memorized, yet there is no requirement to sing in a foreign language.Please submit a link to this recording at least one full week prior to the selected audition date and/or include the link in your application.
- At the scheduled video interview, demonstrate fundamental musical knowledge through a variety of diagnostic exercises, including sight-reading.
- Optional: Prepare one solo piece in a secondary performance area.
- Percussionists perform on at least two instruments: snare drum, timpani, keyboard percussion, drumset.
Additional Requirements for Music Majors
- Perform a second solo piece in a style contrasting to the first.
- If not primarily a pianist, demonstrate proficiency, if any, at the piano.
- If not primarily a vocalist, sing a song of your choice.
Theatre Audition Requirements
- Fill out Theatre Scholarship Application Form
- Prepare and video record a piece which best demonstrate skills in the acting area. Please submit a link to this recording at least one full week prior to the selected audition date and/or include the link in your application.
- At the interview, demonstrate fundamental theatre knowledge through a variety of diagnostic exercises.
- Include a 32 bar musical theatre piece and a 90 second monologue
- Two contrasting 90 second monologues