MidAmerica Nazarene University offers comprehensive nursing education options including:
TRADITIONAL UNDERGRADUATE MAJOR
A Comprehensive Education
At MNU, you can continue your nursing education throughout your career with Masters and Certificate options.
CERTIFICATES & CONTINUING EDUCATION
- Healthcare Administration Certificate
- Healthcare Quality Management Certificate
- Nursing Education Certificate
The nursing programs build upon the general education outcomes of the University to achieve their mission and purpose. Definitions of the outcomes as applied to the nursing programs are as follows:
- Spiritual Development: the cultivation of a Christian approach to one’s life and professional nursing practice that permeates the student’s attainment of departmental outcomes;
- Self-Understanding: the self-application of physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual health promotion practices as the basis of knowledge that will enhance the provision of holistic care to others;
- Critical Thinking: the application of current research, theory, professional standards, and ethical codes to the ongoing generation and evaluation of creative ideas for the purpose of managing patient, family, and/or community health issues/concerns/problems;
- Effective Communication: the ability to express ideas clearly and effectively and accurately interpret communication from others;
- Social Responsibility: the personal involvement of self in nursing’s role and responsibilities to people and society;
- Scientific Literacy: the acquisition of nursing’s unique body of knowledge and an understanding of the processes by which that knowledge was achieved and can be developed;
- Aesthetic Literacy: the application of caring and creativity in nursing “the finest art” (Nightingale, as cited in Donahue, 1985, p.469).
Characteristics of each outcome are provided in the Nursing Student Handbook for each respective program. The outcomes are emphasized throughout various learning experiences. Students demonstrate outcome achievement through course assignments as well as Nursing Internship and the ATI Predictor, which are part of the Senior Comprehensive Exam Requirements.
Eligibility for a Professional Nursing License in Kansas
The State of Kansas sets the qualifications for persons to become licensed as registered professional nurses. Completion of the MNU BSN program does not guarantee that a graduate will be eligible for RN licensure. The eligibility for professional nursing practice in Kansas can be found in the Kansas Nurse Practice Act, Section 65-115.
To read more about requirements for a Kansas registered professional nursing license, please click on the following link: https://ksbn.kansas.gov/wp-content/uploads/NPA/65-1115.pdf
Senior Comprehensive Examination
The Senior Comprehensive Examination for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree has two components: 1) a passing score on a computerized standardized examination that is preparatory for the NCLEX-RN® (RN licensure examination), and 2) successful completion of the Nursing Internship course.
The baccalaureate degree in nursing at MidAmerica Nazarene University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791, http://www.aacnnursing.org/CCNE. Accreditation assures you of the credibility of the program for future nursing positions as well as for continued education in nursing. Additionally, the University is authorized to offer associate’s degrees in all fields, bachelor’s degrees in all fields, and master’s degrees in the fields of Administration/Leadership, Business, Counseling, Education, Nursing and Religion. The University accreditation is through the Higher Learning Commission.
- 96% of MNU's 2019 Bachelor of Science in Nursing graduates passed the NCLEX-RN® exam on the first attempt—higher than state and national averages. For the last 10 years, our nursing graduates have exceeded the national pass rate; and, for the last 12 years, they have exceeded the Kansas average pass rate.
- ABSN program ranked #1 Ranked Paramedic to RN Program 2019 by RegisteredNursing .org
- Nursing programs ranked a Best Nursing Colleges for Veterans 2019 by CollegeFactual.com
- Nursing programs ranked a Best Nursing Colleges for Non-Traditional Students 2019 by CollegeFactual.com
- Nursing programs ranked #1 School in Kansas for Non-Traditional Nursing Students 2019 by CollegeFactual.com
- Masters in Nursing Healthcare Management program ranked Top 15 Online Healthcare Quality and Patient Safety Master’s Programs 2019 by Healthcare-Management-Degree.net