Student Teaching Requirements
For students to be recommended for admission to Student Teaching they must have met the following requirements.
- Admission into the Teacher Education Program.
- Submit Intent to Student Teach Form to the Director of Clinical and Field-Based Experiences on August 30 for spring student teaching or January 30 for fall student teaching.
- Successful presentation to the Student Teaching Application Panel.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.75 in all college work attempted.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.75 in the content area major.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.75 in Professional Education coursework.
- Grade of “B-” or better in all Professional Education courses.
- Grade of “C” or better in all secondary content area courses in the major.
- Grade of “B-” or better in all elementary content area courses.
- Take at least 15 semester hours of Professional Education courses at MNU.
- Take at least 6 semester hours of courses from the content area at MNU.
- Completion of 60 hours of community service (total of 80 hours) required at the time of application.
- Completion of or enrollment in all coursework needed for licensure with the exception of Student Teaching.
- Approval of the Teacher Education Committee.
Admission into Student Teaching does not guarantee placement for student teaching or recommendation for licensure.
Criteria for Assignment to Student Teaching:
For students to begin their Student Teaching assignments they must have met the following requirements.
- Admission into Student Teaching (see above).
- Passing score on Praxis II Content exam or at least one attempt at completion. The Praxis II Content Test serves as the senior comprehensive exam for elementary education majors.
- Completion of appropriate forms for student teaching assignment.
- Acceptable health certificate (with TB test results) signed by a doctor not earlier than 6 months prior to Student Teaching.
- Background check through Validity, completed no earlier than 6 months prior to student teaching.
- Professional liability insurance active for the duration of student teaching.
- Completion of all course work prior to Student Teaching.
Completion of Student Teaching does not guarantee recommendation for licensure.