MNU is a community of faith as well as a community of learning. Spiritual formation is a critical component of a student’s MNU experience—we strive to make MNU a place where students encounter God and grow in the Christian faith.
Our guiding principle is the truth affirmed by Wesleyan theology that our salvation is a dynamic process—we are both saved and being saved, holy and being made holy (Acts 20:32; 1 Corinthians 1:18).
Students not only attend spiritual formation events, they also assist in leading our spiritual formation on campus. Students help facilitate small groups, Going Ministries, and mission trips. Additionally, at each of our chapel services it is common for our students to assist with the worship in song, leading times of prayer and occasionally speaking in chapel.
Spiritual life at MNU is not a spectator sport, but is something that we are shaped in as we participate together. Dr. Brady Braatz, University Chaplain
Weekly chapel services are at the heart of spiritual life at MNU. These services allow us to be part of a true community and introduce us a variety of spiritual practices and disciplines. Above all, they offer a chance for regular reflection and deepening of one’s relationship to God. Students are required to attend a variety of chapel services and small group or service opportunities each semester.
We have several spiritual formation opportunities each week:
- Gathering Chapel in College Church of the Nazarene’s sanctuary. Each Tuesday from 9:30 - 10:30 am the entire MNU campus community gathers to worship together.
- Growing Chapel takes place each Thursday from 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. Focused on discipleship and dialog, Growing Chapels include our Prof. Talk series, Christ and Culture Series and small group opportunities.
- Going Ministries are opportunities for students to go serve in a variety of places around the Olathe and
Kansas City area. MNU students visit the elderly, help serve meals to those in need, and mentor children and teens. These
ministries take place on a variety of days and times throughout the week.
- Kingdom Come is a service where we gather to sing our prayers and praises to God and hear from MNU students. Once a month we gather from 9:00 - 10:00 p.m. in the Bell Cultural Events Center.
Experience an MNU chapel for yourself. Browse through our videos of chapel services throughout the semester.
Wondering where to go to church?
Our students attend a variety of churches in the Kansas City metro, including:
- Central Church of the Nazarene (Lenexa)
- Christ Community Church of the Nazarene (Olathe)
- College Church of the Nazarene (Olathe)
- Heartland Community Church (Olathe)
- Jacob's Well (KC, MO)
- Living Hope Church of the Nazarene (Olathe)
- Shawnee Church of the Nazarene (Shawnee)
- The Gathering Network (Lenexa)
- Westside Church of the Nazarene (Olathe)